Autism SA has won the Australian Dental Foundation Community Welfare Innovation Award at the 2020 South Australian Community Achievement Awards. The Awards are all about the passion of people who are committed to making South Australia a better place to live.
With unanimous agreeance, Autism SA won the award for their inestimable contribution to the community. The winners were announced on Friday 11th December 2020 during the first ever, free Online Awards Presentation.
Autism SA of Netley developed the Autism Friendly Charter (AFC) in partnership with the autistic community. The AFC is a framework designed to support mainstream organisations, community groups and businesses to become more accessible by developing awareness and confidence in applying inclusive practices. Almost 1,000 employees and employers have completed the AFC online training and 83 businesses have pledged to support the AFC movement. As a result, autistic individuals and their families can identify more organisations, business, community groups and events that are autism-aware and would apply inclusive practices. They also provide a free, extensive and easy to use App to connect with businesses directly.
The twelve category winners are:
• Kerry Jones – Office for Ageing Well Tackling Ageism Award
• Ben Morton – Prime Super Agricultural Innovation Award
• City of Marion South American Community – Neighbourhood Centres – Community Centres SA The Loneliness Cure Award
• Tanunda Lutheran Home Inc – Prime Super Employer Excellence in Aged Care Award
• Greenacres Tennis Club – Woolworths Sports in the Community Award
• Autism SA – Australian Dental Foundation Community Welfare Innovation Award
• Rhonda Samuel – Carers SA Carer Achievement Award
• Caroline Lowe – Ricoh Australia Customer Service Award
• Women in Trucking Australia – Jones Harley Toole Community Road Safety Award
• Goodwood Saints Football Club Inc – Breakthrough Mental Health Research Foundation Innovation in Mental Health, Social and Emotional Wellbeing Award
• Herd of Hope – Rural Doctors Workforce Agency Rural Community Health and Wellbeing Award
• Animate Your Science – Minister for Innovation and Skills Small Business Award
Winners each received a $2,000 in prizes from Bartercard and Woolworths.
P.A.R.T.Y Program, Royal Adelaide Hospital was announced as the People’s Choice Award Winner.